In 2001 the school opened a Development Center. The Development Center was initiated by Mrs. S Rutgers one of the two deputy principals as part of her MBA degree.. This was due to many socio-economic issues, problems the surrounding community was experiencing at the time and in turn manifested itself into the lives of some of our learners. The school decided to utilize two un-used classrooms as a space where the Development Center will be located.
Today after 17 years in existence the DC offers the following to the learners:
- It is a screening and referral center for external professional services.
- Trauma Counseling, drug counseling
- Management of the MOD Programme- extra mural activities after school for eg. Sport, arts and culture
- Coordination of the Peninsula Feeding Scheme
- At times the liaison between the school and parents
- Support base center such as counseling, learner assistances, support, ect
- Gardening project (Creating employment for one community member)
For the last two years the Development Center has been staffed by Mrs S Benjamin. The center has been growing from strength to strength over the last ….years and is quite popular amongst our learners, who see the true value it held for them.